Fundamental British Values
Citizenship teaching provides the knowledge, skills and understanding to play an active and responsible part in society.
The citizenship curriculum teaches:
- understanding and awareness of democracy, government and law
- skills and knowledge to explore political and social issues critically
- skills and knowledge to weigh evidence, debate and make reasoned arguments
- pupils’ ability ‘to take their place in society as responsible citizens’.
All schools in the UK must promote the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development of students (SMSC). Under this umbrella, Halcyon teaches fundamental British values.
Ofsted inspects the levels of students understanding of:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty and mutual respect
- tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
Having recently been rated Outstanding by Ofsted (2017), Halcyon prides itself on promoting these values.