Admissions at Halcyon
Providing an exceptional education that draws out the unique potential of each student.
Through our holistic, personal and intentional application process, we aim to learn if Halcyon fits well with the student’s and family’s educational goals.
Halcyon has a rolling admissions process, meaning there is no deadline. However, we process applications in the order in which they are received. Due to the limited number of places we encourage families to apply as soon as possible as grades/year groups fill up quickly.
There is no entrance exam for general applications to Halcyon. We are interested to know how a child can demonstrate their learning every day rather than what can be shown in one hour. Therefore, we review a range of documents offering different perspectives and spend time with both parents and applicant in an informal interview to assess if Halcyon and student/family are the right fit. Our priority is for each student to thrive in our school by providing an education that challenges and inspires.
Who should apply?
Halcyon provides an exceptional learning environment for students who have the self-discipline, a positive attitude and the aptitude to thrive academically in the rigorous IB Middle Years and Diploma Programmes. Our students have the opportunity to develop the necessary academic proficiencies and life-readying skills to be inquisitive and collaborative learners. Halcyon students strive to be engaged and open-minded global citizens.
Halcyon’s criteria for applicants:
Halcyon seeks students who evidence the academic skills and competencies to thrive in an International Baccalaureate environment recognised for its academic rigour and diverse assessment methods. Prospective students will need to demonstrate
1. strong academic performance, as determined by school reports/transcripts/references and, if necessary, an indicative assessment at Halcyon
2. good intrapersonal skills, self-discipline and a curious, independent sense of inquiry
3. good interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate effectively with peers and adults and to build positive social connections
4. positive engagement with extra- or co-curricular activities
5. personal engagement with activities which support the community.
Applicants and their parents should have an active commitment to the International Baccalaureate curriculum, including a commitment to learning an additional language.
6. students must have sufficient English language proficiency to be able to access learning. The school reserves the right not to admit applicants whose command of English would not allow them to access the curriculum and have a reasonable opportunity for success.
7. applicants for whom there has not been a full, accurate, disclosure of educational records, including all previous psychological/educational testing, will not be considered for admission.
As a day school, Halcyon requires that each student be living with his or her parent/s, or legal guardian, who must be legally resident in the UK. All applicants must possess the appropriate UKVI Tier 4 sponsor. Halcyon London International School is a UKVI Tier 4 Sponsor and is able to sponsor visas for suitable applicants who meet the admissions criteria.
The School will not offer a place if, after all reasonable adjustments have been made, the School will not be able to provide adequately or appropriately for the child’s physical and educational needs or promote the child’s well-being. It is assumed that newly-enrolled students will automatically progress through the School, subject to him/her meeting the required standards of behaviour and progress.