The following Guiding Principles were established by the founding students in September 2013.
“BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD” - Mahatma Gandhi
• Treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself.
• Respect everyone in the Halcyon community.
• Be your own leader.
• Help others in Halcyon and in the wider community.
• Work as a team.
• Take pride in your work.
• Don't be afraid to take risks.
• Be happy.
The operating guidelines are based on establishing individual qualities, including: equality, creativity, leadership, independence, Integrity and individuality
• Listen to everyone when they speak
• Respect the school environment
• Show empathy to other people
• Try your hardest and ask for help when you need it
• Think “outside the box”
• Come to school fully prepared for the day
• Be punctual and keep to deadlines
• Bully people.
• Take out your anger on other people around you.
“Take flight like the Kingfisher”
Health and Safety rules
In order to ensure that Halcyon students and staff can operate in a healthy and safe school environment the following rules apply:
Inside the building
• Walk everywhere and keep to the right on the stairs.
• The lift is exclusively for Beginnings nursery, so please do not use it.
• Always wear your security lanyard with your photo ID.
• Never bring drugs, alcohol or chewing gum to school.
• Never go outside the physical limits of the school. The following areas are strictly off limits and are separated from the rest of the building by electronic doors:
o The kitchen and basement area.
o The stairs behind the Grub Hub / student toilets.
o The mezzanine landing
• Please do not go into the following rooms without a teacher:
o The Hall.
o The staff workroom or library on the mezzanine floor.
o The rooms through the big doors on the first floor.
Outside the building
• Walk in pairs on the pavements.
• Be very careful crossing roads and obey your accompanying teachers.
• Be mindful of your own personal security e.g. keep your mobile phones and iPads out of sight.
• Store the school telephone number in your phone, you never know when you might need it.